Who was Venerable Mary Potter?
Mary Potter, a young English woman, came to Nottingham in 1877 and was called to dedicate her life to God and his people. With the blessing of Bishop Edward Bagshawe, she was invited to look for a small property in Hyson Green where he hoped to establish a mission.
Mary Potter and her companions began their work among the poor, suffering, sick and dying. They would do this in union with Our Blessed Lady, with Calvary as their model, standing with Jesus at the foot of the cross, interceding for God’s mercy on the dying of the world. Bishop Bagshawe formally gave the habit of religion to Mary Potter and companions on 2nd July 1877. They became Little Company of Mary Sisters with Mary Potter as their Foundress.
Mary Potter died in Rome on 9th April 1913 and was buried in the cemetery of San Lorenzo. After four years she was brought to rest in the Little Company of Mary, Calvary Hospital, Rome. On 3rd December 1997 her remains were translated to Nottingham to her final resting place at St Barnabas Cathedral.
St. John Paul 11 declared Mary Potter Venerable on 8th February 1988.
The process for her canonisation continues………